Friday, November 2, 2012

Jenn's Chalkboard


It's funny how an overheard conversation on Twitter can turn into a project. I can't remember all the details, such as who was actually looking for a chalkboard, but after some shameless self-promotion and a few back and forth tweets with my friend Jenn, I had a custom order for one!

As far as customers go, she was pretty easy to work with.
Size? "16x24...ish."
Colour? "A punch of colour".
Any other instructions? "Surprise me."

Ok, maybe there was more to it than that. Jenn sent me a great description of the space that the chalkboard would ultimately end up which gave me a pretty good idea of the direction to go in: vintage, eclectic, crafty, distressed, mismatched. This, this I can do.

After finding the perfect reclaimed cabinet door (in boring old white), I set to work on the transformation. Seemingly endless coats of primer, chalkboard paint, and the *perfect* shade of '50s diner turquoise went on and then the real fun started. And, by "fun", I mean a nail-biting session of sanding and scraping to achieve a nonchalant worn effect.


If you've never distressed a piece of furniture before, let me tell you, it can be rather distressing. Too little and it just looks like the piece has just been through a bad move; too much and you have to start again. It's always a surprise, but the real fun with Jenn's chalkboard was discovering a hidden layer of PINK paint below the white. Who knew??

Once I was satisfied with my work, I dug through my collection of old cabinet knobs and found the perfect mismatched pair to adorn the frame. A little bucket on a lime green for chalk was added, along with hangers for mounting, and the chalkboard was ready for delivery to a very excited Jenn. Or, at least I hoped that she'd be excited...

Jenn, were you excited??

Shameless self-promotion: If you are interested in a custom chalkboard like (or unlike) Jenn's, drop me a line or leave a comment. Prices are dependent on size, finish, and accessories.




1 comment:

  1. I was so excited and LOVE this new art piece in my kitchen. It's simply amazing. Thanks for picking all the right elements to make it my one-of-kind!

    ReplyDelete